Wednesday, August 01, 2007

My Humble Beginnings

It all started at a home on the range, July 23, 1949. It was a long, long way then on the two-lane K-10 from Eudora to St. Mary's Hospital in Kansas City as I recall. :-), but we all made it.
The farm house still stands and is being taken care by a nice family with a bunch of kids. My room was in the far right corner on the second floor.
I didn't know exactly how old the farm house is, or how old the farm was...back then we also had cattle, chickens, pigs, and we grew a good crop of corn. The current owner has the original deed to the land which shows the land was purchased from the local Indians (I think they were Osage Indians), the same tribe who actually settled the town of Eudora, and the original farm may have been purchased from the village chief.




The barn was built in the 1880's ... gosh, the barn was already 70 years old when we lived on the farm!



Part of the time before I was six or so we lived in town and our home was at 9th & Church. My room was upstairs on the end. We got baths in the kitchen sink, and we had a black and white TV sometime in 1954.


The house was across from the Catholic Church that was started in 1863 and finished in 1864.



There is a lot more to a real travelogue, but it is better in the telling in person.
I was able to swing by Eurdora during my recent month in Kansas.

No comments: