Friday, October 05, 2007

Whim en Roam

When finally given the chance to have a day off from the grind of working with the media in the Ohio disaster for more than a month, I did my logical rest routine: Starbucks and Barnes & Noble. But, both are small and it was clear I had to find a way to fill last weekend with more activities.

So on a whim, looking at the map, one couldn't miss the obvious presence of Lake Erie and its
islands about an hour away...so thusly, I set out on a quest for Put-In Bay.
I decided not to take my car to the Island (via ferry) but I would rent a bike on the Island. It was a 12-mile Ferry ride and it was very pleasant. The Island itself is a well-used weekend and summer retreat.

It is also the site of Commodore Perry's defeat of the English Navy to end the War of 1812.
The 30-story tall monument "downtown" is the only International Peace Monument in the US (the peace between the US and Canada.

The public can ride an elevator to the top, but you first have to navigate a very tight circular corridor up about 30 steps inside. I tried but could not do it. I became clostrophobic in the corridor and had to retreat...sorry Commodore (in my best Jack Sparrow voice)!

I had a great time on the Island. The weather was just right. I asked a group of students han ging out on the waters edge to take my picture. I must have been pretty relaxed.

I had plenty of time, so I thought I would just peddle my one-size-fits-all bike around the Island. One size does NOT fit all, but it was a good workout for me and I was sure I had plenty of time to circumnavigate the place.

The harbor was very pretty and very neatly kept. All along the harbor are restuarants and tourist stops. This has been a tourist, and summer home, since the 1800's.

What I did not realize by just looking at the map was that this Island isn't like just any Island in the South.

Just past the harbor, at a point of no return (I had fully committed to rounding the Island) there was a roadside historic marker.


The marker detailed how the Island resembled the Island of Gibraltor in contour.


Well, surprise, surprise, surprise it wasn't just the image of Gibraltor from above in resemblance, it also had a good rise too (especially for someone peddling a "crank and go bike") which meant I would be huffing and puffing a lot on the north end of the Island to get to the Ferry to come back!

The West end of the Island was the most scenic with a lot of coves and some cliffs and park areas.
By this time I was pretty tuckered out. Thankful for the exercise, but fully committed to getting a 10-speed when I do the Islands again!

I had first thought that I would stay out on the Island until the last Ferry went to the mainland at 7pm....but on review of my energy expenditure, I decided that 5pm was good enough. :-)

It was a good decision as the clouds rolled in and the sun was going to set early.

It was a very pleasant ride back and a lot of large motor boats and sail boats came back early, too. It was, by my account, a near perfect day. A good adventure...except you all weren't with me!.

No comments: