Saturday, August 08, 2009

Tuna, Chickens, & Burros

Friday was an interesting day in my farm-visit exploits (aka, the part-time farm inspection gig). I started very early...
it was a very beautiful sunrise driving across the mountain top roads south of Huntsville (well, they are "North Alabama Mountains", anyway), and a pleasant temperature at dawn.
One really neat agricultural item of interest that I haven't seen in North Alabama was this hedgerow of Cactus and flowers...more reminiscent of what I saw during our family trips Mexico in the '90's.

As I took pictures and studied the colors and the Tuna (that's what the flowering fruit on top of the Cactus is called), the sun burst into the morning and I could feel the penetrating heat on my back - it was only 6:30 so I knew it would be a rough morning...

and as I wound down my lengthly stay (the poultry/cattle farm covered quite a large area and I walk most of it), I made new friends along the way by talking to the animals...

I must admit that I was a little suspcious of these guys, they always strategically positioned themselves this way, as if they were saying, "OK, I'll take the left leg, Jorge you take the right one, and Manuel, you flank him and we got'em!"
I escaped the stable area safely...to ride herd on another farm another day. :-)

3 comments:

Industrious Honey said...

very nice. interesting that there are cactus groves in north alabama... wonderful's going on here with the temperature.

pictures are very lovely.

Brian/Alicia said...

Where exactly were the cactus? I miss Mexico! We need another family trip down there!!!

Tim Tyson said...

The Cactus were at a farm on Geogria Mountain above Guntersville ... the morning atmosphere was a lot alike the mornings we would set off for places in Mexico, too!